Despite the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis, TCZ Law remains open and dedicated to providing an outstanding service to all clients. While you may have previously preferred to deliver your information and meet with us in-person at our office, we recommend other alternatives, such as scheduling a phone call or video conference to substitute for face-to-face meetings, and emailing us your personal information at your convenience.


How can a parent enforce a visitation agreement?

Enforcing a visitation agreement is essential for ensuring that a child has regular and consistent contact with both parents after a divorce or separation. In Ontario, parents can enforce a visitation agreement through legal means if the other parent is not complying with the agreement. Here is an overview of how a parent can enforce a visitation agreement in Ontario:

Review the Visitation Agreement

The first step in enforcing a visitation agreement is to carefully review the agreement. The agreement should clearly outline the schedule for visitation, the duration of each visit, and any special considerations or restrictions. The agreement should be in writing and signed by both parents. If the agreement is not clear, the parents may need to negotiate a new agreement or seek legal advice.

Document the Violation

If one parent is not complying with the visitation agreement, the other parent should document the violation for enforcing process. This can include keeping a detailed record of missed visits, late arrivals, or early departures. The parent should also document any attempts to communicate with the non-compliant parent to resolve the issue.

Communicate with the Other Parent

The next step is to communicate with the other parent to try to resolve the issue. The non-compliant parent may have a valid reason for not complying with the agreement, such as illness or scheduling conflicts. The parents should attempt to work together to find a solution that works for both parties. If the non-compliant parent is uncooperative, the other parent may need to consider mediation or a court order.


If the parents are unable to resolve the issue on their own, they may consider mediation. Mediation is a voluntary process where a neutral third party helps the parents work out a solution that is in the best interests of the child. The mediator does not make decisions for the parents but instead helps them communicate and negotiate a solution. Mediation can be less costly and less time-consuming than going to court.

Court Order

If the non-compliant parent continues to violate the visitation agreement, the other parent can apply to the court for a court order. The court can order the non-compliant parent to comply with the visitation agreement, and may also impose sanctions for non-compliance, such as fines or even jail time. Before going to court, the parent should consult with a TCZ Lawyer Eric Zhao to discuss their options and develop a strategy.

Legal Representation

It is always recommended to seek legal representation when enforcing a visitation agreement in Ontario. TCZ Lawyer Eric Zhao can provide legal advice and represent the parent in court if necessary. We can also assist in negotiating a new visitation agreement or resolving any disputes that arise during the process. We ensure that the parent’s rights are protected and that the best interests of the child are taken into account.

In conclusion, enforcing a visitation agreement in Ontario involves reviewing the agreement, documenting any violations, communicating with the other parent, considering mediation, obtaining a court order, and seeking legal representation. It is important for parents to work together to ensure that the visitation agreement is followed, and for the best interests of the child to be considered at all times.